Alcohol is not a solution to be healthy. It’s true. However, this does not mean that we should put all minds in the same basket. Undoubtedly, some spirits are cloudier, lower quality, and filled with leftover chemicals that lead to that ferocious hangover you’ll never understand having because, after all, you’ve only eaten two Margaritas. But others are pure from source to glass, and those are your friends. There are many reasons to drink organic, especially in this period Organic Septemberbut few are more important than avoiding a hellish hangover.
We’ve broken down five must-haves for the discerning cocktail drinker who wants to have fun, with no regrets.
1. A simpler choice: A cocktail might not be the best pre-gym hydration solution, but it definitely shouldn’t keep you from hitting the gym the next morning. That’s where organic spirits come in. While eating organic means avoiding growth hormones, MSG, food colorings, and sodium nitrates, drinking organic means much the same thing. Opting for a spirit that includes outdoor fermentation and on-site bottling to ensure consistency and quality from field to bottle is a good place to start.
2. Clear reasoning: Yes, clarifying a liquid is good, but an even better solution is to create a liquid that is free of unwanted particles. Go for a brand that takes pride in its natural processes: Many of the best organic brands were already organic before the marketing gurus told us “organic” was a thing.
3. Which water where? : The water supply is a very important element in the choice of a spirits. Is it a natural supply or is it transported by truck? Since the most important component of any beverage is water, this should be one of your main criteria. Look for brands that get water from natural springs, wells and rivers.
4. Straight from the source: What many consumers don’t know is that brands often source their grapes, wheat or agave from various suppliers. If you want consistent flavor and quality, choose brands that have a deep relationship with their source and stick to the same supplier. The source is a major element of the final result.
5. Buy with kindness: By purchasing organic products, you are making the decision to be respectful of the land, the agriculture, the water supply and your own body. The way you shop contributes to bad farming practices or supports good ones. Either it brings you bad products or pure and organic products. Want to be both greener and healthier? You can help the earth and your head recover from overconsumption by making a statement with your wallet. Buy organic.
One of Drink Me favorite organic brands remain Azunia Tequila. It ticks all the boxes listed above: outdoor fermentation, no crazy additives, source control at bottling, a longstanding and consistent partnership with its sole agave supplier, natural well water supply and organic and sustainable practices that follow from harvest to waste disposal. . Reasonable price, azunia facilitates the choice of organic. This brand was one of the first to enter the organic category, ten years ago when it was launched. Back then, organic and sustainable were not as fully embraced as they are today, especially in the realm of alcohol. However, this brand has evolved into an organic product without any effort. From farm to bottling, azunia has just grown up like this without an agenda, and thanks to its traditional practices, it has earned its place at the top of the table in a category that is now in high demand: organic spirits.
As an educational and newly launched program of the brand website States: “Mother Earth gives us things like water and blue agave plants, the only two ingredients in Azuñia tequila.”
America’s Best Organic Cocktails
“Life is bitter with you”
Created by Erika Rode, owner and founder of Cocktail bar and Bitters food, Scottsdale, Ariz. It’s new to the menu and sells for $14.
- 0.75 ounce Azunia Blanco
- 0.75 oz Arcadia Cucumber Vodka
- 0.5 ounce lime
- .5 Tamarindo Syrup
- .5 Orange curacao
- 1 oz Liquid Alchemist coconut cream
- 2 dashes of Angostura Bitters
- Mix, then shake and strain
Erika’s inspiration: I like to create balanced cocktails that have levels of complexity, but more importantly, that end well without overpowering components. Refreshing and bright green vegetal layers with soft toasted coconut, a complex mouthfeel, with a soft/round finish. This cocktail showcases some of our herbs straight from our garden, locally sourced spirits, all natural components, and my passion for focusing on small-batch produce. No straw, but if the customer wants one, we will provide a reusable metal one.
Wake me up before you go
Created by Miguel Mora, Straight Up at Hotel Adeline, Old Town Scottsdale, Arizona. $13.
- 1.5 ounces Organic Tequila Azuñia Blanco
- 1 ounce of Dr McGillicuddys coffee liqueur
- 1 oz Organic Dark Roast Cold Brew
- 0.5 oz Falernum
- 0.25 oz simple syrup
- 3 traits AZ Bitters Lab Mi Casa Bitters
- Stirred and poured over ice chips. Garnished with mint and orange peel
Miguel’s Inspiration: As a coffee lover and supporter of sustainable products, I wanted to try to get as close as possible to achieving a balanced cocktail that could cure all morning woes. Made with organic tequila, coffee and homemade Falernum, this cocktail exudes an autumn scent with the finish of a good cup of morning coffee.
Honey I’m home
Created by Trish Renehan Vodrazka, RKDA kitchen, Phoenix, Arizona. $14.
- 2oz azunia Rests
- 0.5 oz Iconic Cocktail Co. Spiced Honey
- 3 dashes AZ Bitters Lab Orange Sunshine
- Fig pudding from AZ Bitters laboratory with 3 strokes
- 0.5 tablespoons vanilla bean syrup
- Built-in Yarai blender pitcher.
- Stir and strain into a 5 oz martini-style glass.
- Express the orange zest and garnish on a glass.
Trish’s Inspiration: I grew up with organic gardeners in my family so I really appreciate the hard work and dedication that goes into growing organic. I also like to support local businesses. Iconic Cocktail Co. makes amazing syrups for cocktails and AZ Bitters Laboratory is a local husband and wife team that Phoenix bartenders love. I think the spicy honey and bitter bring out tasting notes in the Azunia Reposado and the vanilla syrup balances and finishes very well in the mouth.