Perfect for barbecues or game days, this tofu sandwich is loaded with everything: barbecue tofu, vegan mayonnaise, coleslaw, avocado and pickles. Pass the towels!
This tofu sandwich recipe doesn’t skimp on flavor. Smoky BBQ tofu plays on a spicy, nutty Coleslawwhich in turn contrasts with the acidity dill pickles, creamy avocado and a soft, sweet bun. When it comes to plant-based cooking recipes or game day recipes, it’s hard to beat. This tofu sandwich is bold, hearty and seriously sassy. I learned the hard way: don’t try to eat it without a stack of napkins nearby.
Tofu Sandwich Recipe Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this tofu sandwich recipe:
- TofuOf course! 1 package (14 ounces) extra-firm tofu, to be exact. Note that you need extra firm tofu here. Anything softer will be too delicate for this sandwich!
- Barbecue sauce – I like the flavor of my homemade barbecue sauce in this tofu sandwich. It’s tangy, salty and just slightly sweet. Made with staple ingredients like ketchup, yellow mustard, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, and soy sauce or tamari, it’s easy to make on the Cook. For even easier preparation, you can use your favorite brand of store-bought barbecue sauce.
- Coleslaw – This simple coleslaw has an addictive peanut dressing. It’s a refreshing and unexpected addition to this tofu sandwich!
- Mayonnaise – To use vegan mayonnaise for a plant-based version of this recipe.
- Lawyer – It adds a creamy richness to the sandwich.
- Dill pickles – For a sweet and sour crunch. Do you like spicy food? To exchange pickled jalapeno peppers for the heat!
- hamburger buns – The buns are fantastic here, or use vegan or gluten-free buns.
Find the full recipe with measurements below.
Swap the coleslaw! Replace coleslaw with
All four options are delicious! Choose classic coleslaw or vegan coleslaw for a creamy coleslaw experience, pickled coleslaw if you want it really zesty, or coleslaw for a fresh, nutty kick.
How to make a tofu sandwich
There are three main parts to this tofu sandwich recipe: making the BBQ tofuprepare the coleslaw and assemble the sandwiches.
Start by preparing the BBQ tofu.
- First, press the tofu. This easy and convenient step will give it an irresistible firm and chewy texture – don’t skip it! Press excess water from the tofu with a tofu press or use a DIY setup with a cutting board and cast iron skillet. For step-by-step instructions, check out my guide to how to squeeze tofu. And if you’re looking for a tofu press (highly recommended!), read my reviews of the best tofu presses.
- Then cook the tofu. Cut into slices and brush with Barbecue sauce. Grill or cook the tofu slices according to my bbq tofu recipe. Brush them with more sauce after they come off the grill or oven!
Meanwhile, prepare the coleslaw.
- Chop the vegetables, mix the dressing and toss everything in a large bowl. Set the salad aside to marinate while you finish cooking the tofu.
Finally, assemble the sandwiches!
- Fill the buns with the tofu and coleslaw, pickles, avocado and mayonnaise. Appreciate!
Tips for preparing ahead
More vegan sandwiches and veggie burgers
If you like that tofu sandwich, then try one of these vegan sandwiches or veggie burgers:
Prevent your screen from going dark
Prepare the BBQ tofu according to this recipe. After cooking, brush with additional BBQ sauce.
Assemble the sandwiches on the buns with the mayonnaise, BBQ tofu, coleslaw, avocado and pickles.