National Rum Day on August 16 may have passed, but August is rum month, so let’s keep celebrating the spirit of the cane. Not that there’s never a bad time to enjoy rum, but it’s a particularly effective spirit for easing the transition from summer to early fall.
Moreover, rum cocktails can be very creative, versatile and tasty. Here are seven we love for 2023. (For more recipes, check out this summary of rum in the summer issue of Cheers.)
- 1 ounces. Rum Plantation OFTD
- ½ ounces. Smith and Cross Jamaican Rum
- ½ ounces. Cruzan Blackstrap Rum
- 1 ½ ounces. Pineapple juice
- ½ ounces. Cold Infusion Concentrate
- ½ ounces. Demerara syrup
- ½ ounces. Lemon juice
Mix the ingredients in a mold and whisk.
Strain into a Ginza highball glass with crushed ice.
Garnish with pineapple leaves and nutmeg.
Tyson Buhler of Death & Co. Denver created this recipe.
It feels like summer
- 1 ounces. Rum Flor de Caña 7
- 1 ounces. Mastiha Skinos
- ½ ounces. Orgeat
- 1 ½ ounces. Mandarin
- 1 ounces. Lemon
Mix all the ingredients in a shaker.
Shake and strain into a Collins glass over crushed ice.
Garnish with spring mint and 2 slices of tangerine.
Garnish with 3 dashes of Angostura bitters.
Marion Miami’s mixologists created this recipe.
- 1 ounces. KōHana white rum
- ½ ounces. Laird’s Apple Brandy
- ½ ounces. Beefeater London Dry Gin
- ½ ounces. La Perfect Puree pink guava purée thawed
- ½ ounces. Passion fruit concentrate La Purée Parfaite thawed
- ¾ ounces. Orgeat
- ¾ ounces. Fresh lemon juice
- 1 ounces. Fresh orange juice
- ½ ounces. Sherry Cream
Add the ingredients except the sherry to a shaker with ice.
Shake vigorously for about 5-10 seconds.
Throw it all in a Tiki cup.
Fill the cup with ice and float cream sherry on it.
Garnish with sprigs of mint and serve with a straw.
Harry Chin, mixologist at Restaurant Fête in Honolulu, created this recipe.
- 3 ounces. The Perfect Puree Yuzu Luxe Sour Blend thawed
- 1 ½ ounces. Breckenridge Spiced Rum
- 1 ounces. Fresh lime juice
- ½ ounces. Simple honey syrup
- ⅛ ounces. apple cider vinegar
Combine ingredients in a shaker and shake.
Strain into a standard 10 oz jar. Martini glass.
Garnish with pineapple leaf and lime wedge.
Billie Keithley of Breckenridge Distillery created this recipe.
Mai Tai with passion fruit and coconut
- 1 ½ ounces. Coconut Rum Kōloa Kaua`i
- 2 ounces. Pineapple juice
- 1 ounces. Freshly squeezed lime juice
- Seeds and pulp of a passion fruit
- ½ ounces. Dark Rum Kōloa Kaua`i
In a shaker, combine the coconut rum, pineapple juice, lime juice and passion fruit.
Shake well with ice.
Pour into a chilled glass through a sieve coarse enough to let the passion fruit pulp pass through.
Add the dark rum float.
Garnish with tropical fruits and a toasted coconut chip.
Lee Corbett, @TheRogueBrusselSprout, created this recipe.
Golden City Piña Colada
- ½ ounces. Fresh lime juice
- 1 ounces. Fresh pineapple juice
- 1 ounces. Liquid Alchemist Coconut Syrup
- 1 ounces. Bacardi Reserva Ocho Rum
- 1 ounces. Rum El Dorado 12 years old
Add the ingredients to the mixing pan.
Shake briefly with crushed ice.
Pour into a pineapple glass.
Top up with more crushed ice.
Garnish with a sprig of mint and a dehydrated pineapple wheel
Thomas Mizuno-Moore, Senior Beverage Manager at Aba in Austin, Texas, created this recipe.
Hemingway and Nica
- 2 ounces. Papa’s Pilar Blond Rum
- 1 ounces. Naranja agria-grapefruit syrup
- ¾ ounces. Lime juice
- 12 drops of Pimento bitters
- 1 lime wheel
Add ice and all liquid ingredients to a shaker.
Shake vigorously for 15-30 seconds.
Double strain the contents of the shaker into a chilled cup.
Garnish with a lime wedge floating on top of the drink.
Papa’s Pilar mixologists created this recipe.